Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Inappropriate Golden Book Auction Art



I painted these for an art auction coming up at work. I've been drawing on the computer a lot recently, like robots do, so I went actual media for these, like cavemen do. I broke out my dried-up Bob Ross paints, and mixed them with the tears from a litter of orphaned kittens, (it makes the colors very vibrant) and applied the tear-paint with my brushes made of angelhair (not the pasta, actual angel hair). But that painting didn't turn out right, so I used gouache instead.

My brilliant wife had the idea to incorporate the infamous design of the Golden Book spine onto the mat of the pieces. Here's some close-ups of the mats.


10 comments:

Og from the Og Blog said...

Hahahahah. So clever. What a good way to start my morning. I love it.

The book lining is a touch of genius.

Pedro said...

OMG! That's awesome yet horrifying... I don't believe you were going for those emotions though... you were look for more like... ummm.... *blarf*... cutsey?

Josh Cooley said...

Thanks og from the og blog.
I like to start my morning by killing my breakfast by hand.


Pedro- Awesome, yet horrifying works too. My wife paid me that same compliment on our first date.

Larry Levine said...

Incredible artwork!

christopher said...

Thats funny because I like to start my morning by peeing on myself from laughing at your blog. But I guess a hand killed breakfast is a way to go too...

Emma said...

Jonesy on the mat is jut about my most favorite thing, ever. Awesome paintings.

roque said...

These are genius. And the golden book spine touch takes it over the top!

Rick Cortes said...

Never stop painting these! (Not these particular paintings. I mean, more paintings. You get it.)

seamas without pants said...

these are fucking brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I am giantly in love with this
is it still available?
brooklyngirl@brooklygirl.com